General Information

What types of Regulatory Science educational options are offered by San Diego State University?

We offer an MS in Regulatory Affairs degree, an Advanced Certificate in Regulatory Affairs, and the flexibility to enroll in individual Regulatory Science courses for professional development. The MS in RA degree is a 39-unit program, which takes approximately 24 months, but can be completed in as little as 18 months. The 12-unit RA Advanced Certificate can be completed within 6-12 months.

How long has the MS in RA degree been offered at San Diego State University?

The MS in RA degree program started Fall 1999. In May 2001, the program graduated its 1st class.

How do I contact the Regulatory Science program office?

San Diego State University, College of Sciences
Regulatory Affairs
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-1010
Website: regsci.sdsu.edu
Email: regsci@sdsu.edu

Ana Righellis
Phone: 619-594-6030
Email: righelli@sdsu.edu

Obtaining an Advanced Certificate

How do I start the Advanced Certificate in Regulatory Affairs?

Students interested in earning the Advanced Certificate in Regulatory Affairs need to apply for admission to the University for this program through Cal State Apply and will be required to submit official transcripts showing completion of a bachelor’s degree. Select “Certificate: Regulatory Affairs” when submitting your application.

While you may register for your first course of the program prior to being formally accepted into the University, you will not be a candidate for the Advanced Certificate until you have been accepted into the University. You must complete the application process before enrolling in a second course.

What is the deadline to apply for the Advanced Certificate in Regulatory Affairs?

The deadline to apply for Fall is August 1st. The deadline to apply for Spring is November 1st.

Can the four Advanced Certificate courses in Regulatory Affairs be applied toward the MS in RA degree?


Is the Advanced Certificate in Regulatory Affairs offered by San Diego State University the same as the Regulatory Affairs Certification offered by RAPS?

The Advanced Certificate in Regulatory Affairs offered by SDSU is NOT the same as the Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) offered by the Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society (RAPS). The Advanced Certificate in Regulatory Affairs involves the completion of certificate courses. You must earn a “B” or better to pass in each course and qualify for the Advanced Certificate. For information about the RAC exam, please visit the RAPS website.

Applying for the Degree Program

How do I apply for the MS in Regulatory Affairs degree program?

You can find detailed application process on this website.

What is the deadline to apply for the MS in Regulatory Affairs degree program?

The deadline to apply for Fall ’17 is May 31st, 2017. The deadline to apply for Spring is November 1st.

Do I need to have an undergraduate degree in a field of science or engineering to apply to the MS in RA degree program?

You must have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in order to apply to the Master’s program. Successful applicants to the professional masters degree program will generally possess a background in one of the disciplines offered in the life and physical sciences, or engineering. However, all highly-motivated students with a strong interest in regulatory affairs are encouraged to apply.

Am I required to take the GRE to apply for admission to the MS in RA degree program?

The GRE requirement can now be waived for applicants who meet one of the following criterion:

  • have an undergraduate GPA of at least a 3.0 and 3 yrs. of relevant industry experience
  • have completed three program courses (one of which must be RA 602) with a grade of B or better in each course
  • hold an advanced degree (such as an MBA, MS, MA, Ph.D., JD, etc.) from an institution that is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools.

Contact the Graduate Advisor at lbodie@sdsu.edu for more information.

What is the minimum undergraduate GPA score required for admission to the MS in RA degree program?

SDSU requires domestic graduate applicants to have a minimum 2.85 undergraduate GPA and international applicants are required to have a minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA. Applicants with an undergraduate GPA under 2.85 may be admitted conditionally.

Can I complete the MS in RA degree program without coming to the SDSU campus?

Yes. All courses are delivered fully online. We have a very diverse student body from all around the world. One of the benefits of our program is the professional network of faculty and fellow students that is cultivated during the program of study.

Registering & Paying for a Course

How can I find out when Regulatory Science courses will be offered?

You can find the schedule of classes on this website.

Are there prerequisites for the Regulatory Science courses?

Yes, Regulatory Science courses do have prerequisites. Prerequisites are used to ensure that students have the foundational knowledge to succeed in the course. However, a prerequisite may be waived based on industry experience. If there is any question, please contact the Graduate Advisor at regsci@sdsu.edu.

How do I register for Regulatory Science courses?

Since all of our courses are run online as special sessions (more condensed than the University’s regular semester time-frames), registration is done through the College of Extended Studies. Here’s a link to the registration page: http://www.ces.sdsu.edu/rsreg. The College of Extended Studies Registrar can also be reached at 619-594-5152.

What is the deadline for registering in a Regulatory Science course?

Course registrations end one week before the course start date. Students attempting to register after the deadline will need departmental approval, which will be determined on a case-by-case basis dependent upon on space availability in the desired course(s) and progress toward the student’s program of study and targeted graduation term.

How much do the programs cost?

Payment for the Regulatory Science programs and individual Regulatory Science courses is on a course-by-course basis. The fee for the 2016-2017 academic year is $850 per unit. The total cost for this program is on the more affordable end of the spectrum for regulatory masters programs nation-wide. The SDSU Regulatory Science program is self-supporting and receives no public monies in financial support of its operation.

Does San Diego State University offer financial aid?

Financial aid is available to students in the MS program. For more information about financial aid, please visit http://www.sa.sdsu.edu/fao/index.html.

Taking a Course

I have registered in an Regulatory Science course–what now? How do I start the course?

You will receive information about accessing your course in your registration confirmation email. You will also receive this information in an email from your instructor prior to the first day of the course.

Do I have to purchase books and course materials separately?

Your fee will include course materials for most Regulatory Science courses; however, there are some courses where students are required to purchase textbook(s). Please visit the Course Materials page for more information.

How does an online course work?

Almost all course activities are asynchronous, meaning that you do not have to be online on any particular day/time to participate in the course. Some activities, such as role plays and presentations, may require all students to participate at the same time. There are weekly assignments, including WebExercises and discussion boards based on the weekly readings. You can access weekly lectures online. Written transcripts and mp3 files of the lectures are also available.

I have taken graduate level courses in the past. Will these units transfer towards the MS degree?

Twelve units can be transferred into the Masters Program, including our courses before being admitted to the University. Three units can be transferred into the Advanced Certificate program. Approval is required. Contact the Graduate Advisor at regsci@sdsu.edu for more information.

Dropping a Course

How do I withdraw from a course? Will I receive a refund?

This information can be found on the CES website. Please make yourself familiar with these policies.